Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Journals of Jim Elliot

"I walked out to the hill just now.  It is exalting, delicious, to stand embraced by the shadows of a friendly tree with the wind tugging at your coattail and the heavens hailing your heart, to gaze and glory and give oneself again to God--what more could a man ask?  Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on earth!  I care not if I never raise my voice again for Him, if only I may love Him, please Him.  Mayhap in mercy He shall give me a host of children that I may lead them through the vast star fields to explore His delicacies whose finger ends set them to burning.  But if not, if only I may see Him, touch His garments, and smile into His eyes--ah, then, not stars nor children shall matter, only Himself.
"O Jesus, Master and Center and End of all, how long before that Glory is thine which has so long waited Thee?  Now there is no thought of Thee among men; then there shall be thought for nothing else.  Now other men are praised; then none shall care for any others' merits.  Hasten, hasten, Glory of Heaven, take Thy crown, subdue Thy Kingdom, enthrall Thy creatures."

From Jim Elliot's journals

No comments:

Post a Comment