Friday, October 5, 2012

Reasons to memorize the Bible

Why memorize the Word?  Why the National Bible Bee?  Some excellent reasons to memorize God's Word:
“To really know it. Books read once have a small impact. The more times you read it the more you know it. Committing to memory allows for the deepest knowledge.
To give it maximum opportunity to impact my life. ‘All Scripture is…profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.’
To be able to meditate upon it. ‘Blessed is the man who…mediates on His law day and night.’
To keep from sinning. ‘How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your Word.’
To help me in times of trouble.
To change me. ‘For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword.’
To interrupt wrong thinking.
To have it when I and if I don’t have a Bible.
To be ready and able to share it with others—children, non-Christians, people who are suffering.
To make me wise.
To be like the tortoise, run the race slow and steady, to win.
To increase my faith, because I become familiar with God’s promises and character.
To boost my spiritual walk with God. Memorizing helps me meditate and do it.
To increase my time with the Word. This way it’s with me all the time.
To cause me to really think about scripture, to slow me down.
To encourage me. ‘why so downcast, O my soul? put your hope in God!’
To fight temptation the way Jesus did.
To rehearse the gospel to myself.
To be obedient. ‘whatever is right…think about such things.’
To know the will of God.
To fuel my prayers, so that I can pray according to will of God.
To exercise my brain.”
- marcia reavely via lauren-reavely.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment